The wedding dress project continues with lots of prep – just like a wedding.
I took the dress apart at the seams – which was pretty easy because the thread is reaching the end of its life. The stitches broke away with no fight and a gentle crackling sound. There are sixty-plus years of wrinkles to press flat before cutting the patchwork. This takes quite a bit of steam.
I took part of the project home, trying to stay on schedule and knowing that we would be snowed in. Nothing better than being by a toasty iron and an indoor project anyway.
Strips were cut, based on my design: A center panel, taken from the bustles. I could only get a 24″ square from that piece. So I cut 6 1/2″ strips to bring the center/monogram panel up to 36″ square.
Sewing satin is a challenge. I use a pinning combination that reduces slippage in both directions, when right sides of satin are facing one another. The pins are very close together as in “over-pin.”
I chain pieced anything I could. This is a 12 1/2 piece stitched to a 4 1/2 strip. They will be sub cut into a brick-type block that will give a woven effect when I’m finished.
Press the seams open. I’m really surprised at how well the satin takes the heat from the right side with no major adjustments to iron temperature. I can smell 1946 in the fabric as it heats up.
While I was pinning another strip for the center panel, I noticed how beautifully the satin draped over the edge of my sewing table. Stopped to enjoy and take a picture.
The finished center panel is draped over the back of a chair in my studio while I continue piecing.
So far, I’ve gotten the basket weave patchwork laid out for sewing.